Some days, I wish there was an instruction manual that went along with life. Especially on the days you are having a hard time and just need guidance or on the days where you want to learn how to be a better person. I’m happy to tell you, there is one!
I’m talking about The Complete Life’s Little Instruction Book that was written in 1990 and published over and over again since then. It’s a simple book, one written by a dad for his son. The premise of the book was that at the start of the freshman year of college, dad wanted to give his son instructions for living his best life. The end result was a collection of things that had positively influenced this dad during his own life.
If you haven’t picked up this book, I HIGHLY encourage it. The original book was just 511 tidbits to remember or think about when we’re traveling through life. The copy I have is up to 1,560! While you may not agree with each and every instruction given, there are plenty that will fill your life with joy and bring a smile to your face. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Have a firm handshake.
- Learn to make great chili.
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Be a student in some kind of class.
- Take lots of snapshots.
- Put the cap back on the toothpaste.
- Let people pull in front of you when you’re stopped in traffic.
- Don’t mess with drugs, and don’t associate with those who do.
- Smile a lot. It costs nothing and is beyond price.
- Give yourself a year and read the Bible cover to cover.
- Respect your children’s privacy. Knock before entering their room.
- Wear audacious underwear under the most solemn business attire.
- Keep your desk and work area neat.
- Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts.
Out of this list, do any make you smile? I hope so!
As I’ve been reading this book, I got to thinking. Why not write our own instruction manual? Life is not to be lived perfectly and in all honesty, there is no manual that is going to tell you how to live it that way. Instead, live life to the fullest without harming yourself or anyone else and learn to live a wonderful life full of joy!
As you start your own list, share your first rule for living a spectacular life. Mine? Be kind to yourself and those around you.